Twentieth Century Time Travel
A Social History through the Senses
Drink cocktails at the captain's table on a 1930s ocean liner. Drive through the noir landscape of 1940s LA. Hitch a ride to Nepal on the 1960s hippie bus. Ten decades over two days.
We've coralled the best authors and speakers to bring to life the ideas, the scenes, and the pop culture of an entire century. Experience your chosen decades through their scents, sounds and drinks.
Hosted in The Hoxton's stunning mid-century styled Apartment venue.
Buy tickets here - all of which include a free cocktail.
1900 - 1919
11:30 - 13:00, Sat 7th November
- Dr Pam Cox, author of Shop Girls, on the weird and wonderful world of department stores 1900.
- Sample the molecules that changed the way we smelt in the Belle Epoque.
- Mark Bowden, resident composer with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, gets us backstage with the Ballets Russe and invites us to inhabit the shock and strangeness of Stravinsky's The Rites of Spring.
- Lucy Gosling on what fancy dress crazes can tell us about 1910-1920.
- We restage a bizarre multisensory performance of 1915's New York in which actors were sprayed with the scents of Hate and Slander.
1920 - 1949
14:00 - 17:00, Sat 7th November
- Get the story of the 1920s through its dazzling modernist buildings with architect Mellis Haward of Archio.
- I recreate the fantastical world of perfume fortune telling in 1920s Manhattan.
- How ocean liners were designed to be floating pleasure palaces, with Tony Cooke, author of Art Deco Goes to Sea.
- Luci Gosling shares the parties and debauchery of high life at sea in the 1930s.
- Alice Lascelles, The Times' hard liquor columnist, invites us to drink three cocktails that tell the story of 1940s noir culture.
- Richard J Williams, author of Sex and Buildings, tells us how Los Angeles, city of angels, grew from nothing to become the world's most powerful metropolis.
1950 - 1969
11:30 - 13:00, Sat 14th November
- Sit down for a spot of TV deconstruction as we do Gogglebox 1950s style with Professor Joe Moran, author of Armchair Nation.
- Explore the 1950s mania for regression and past life discovery through perfume hypnosis.
- Get transcendental. Ride on the hippie bus to Nepal with Rory Maclean to learn about counter-culture on the road, hippie stink and all.
- Helen Bagnall of Salon London on the intellectual origins of the cultural revolution.
1970 - 1999
14:00 - 17:00, Sat 14th November
- We take to Laurel Canyon California to talk all things music and feminism with Dr Lucy O'Brien.
- Learn about the 1970s obsession with the Jesus Revolution and all things cultic.
- She's usually working to understand the minds of our most complex and challenging criminals. Britain's leading forensic psychologist Kerry Daynes turns her expertise to the queens of 1980s TV in Dynasty and Dallas.
- Tour the 1980s power restaurant scene to learn about the dishes, the divas and the deals. And try the scents that got banned for being too strong.
- Live the millennium once more with Dr Tom Chatfield, who talks about Y2K fever and what was really going on in 1999.
- Finally dance out The Century with our top ten tracks of 1999, and get a chance to do NYE one more time, albeit at 5pm on a Saturday afternoon in November!